10 Things To Ask for When Negotiating an Academic Job Offer
- No morning classes.
- An office with a floor drain in one corner, for wetsuit drying.
- A committment to train the department secretary to make espresso.
- The right to review student course evaluations and edit them for clarity
before anyone else sees them.
- Dress code upshift for the entire department (so I can feel that I fit
in, without having to replace my entire wardrobe).
- Access to a restroom with non-floridated water.
- Funding for 25 work-study students for one week each.
- A promise that the administration will give credence to my side
of the story in case of sexual harassment allegations.
- A departmental welcome party with a four course meal and invitations for
twelve friends and relations.
- Guaranteed freedom to teach my best, including exemption
from existing or future legislation that affects
Back to Nigel's Commentary Page
Up to Nigel's Home Page