Instructor: Nigel Ward
Time: 9:00 - 10:20, Tuesdays and Thursdays, Psych 308 (subject to change)
Details: Syllabus (.pdf)
Office Hours: Wenesdays 2:30-3:30, by appointment, or drop-in at room 3.0408
Textbook and Supplementary Readings
- Textbook (required):
Designing the User Interface, 6th edition (yes, the newest, most expensive edition).
Ben Shneiderman and Catherine Plaisant. Addison-Wesley, 2017.
- Designing with the Mind in Mind, 2nd Edition.
Jeff Johnson. Morgan Kaufmann 2014. (Elsevier link) (sample chapter) (summary video)
- Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design, 2nd edition.
Jenifer Tidwell. O'Reilly, 2011. (link)
- User-Centered Website Development: A Human-Computer Interaction Approach.
Daniel D. McCracken and Rosalee J. Wolfe. Pearson Prentice Hall, 2004. (link)
- Building Interactive Systems.
Dan R. Olsen Jr. Course Technology, 2010. (link)
- HCI Videos etc.
- Rosson and Carroll's Usability Case Studies
- OK/Cancel Comics
- Don't Click It
- The Inamo Mouse System: A Hacktastic Story
Related Classes, with many useful links
- UTEP CS 4317, Professor Novick
- Coursera's HCI course, Professor Klemmer
- Calgary CPSC 481, Professor Greenberg, including Graphical Screen Design
- UMD CMSC 434, Professor Froehlich
- UW CSE 490F, Professor Landay