Department of Computer Science
The University of Texas at El Paso
I am the leader of the Trust
Laboratory at the University of
Texas at El Paso (UTEP), a member of the Software
Engineering Affinity Laboratory, and a member of UTEP's Cyber-ShARE Center of
Excellence for Sharing Resources Through Cyber-Infrastructure to
advance science, engineering, and education. Cyber-ShARE is a National Science Foundation (NSF)-funded
multi-disciplinary research effort between computer science,
geosciences, environmental sciences, computational math, astronomy,
At Cyber-ShARE, I am the leader of the computer science component
that aims to increase the scientist use of semantic web and social network
technologies in support of cyber-infrastructure-based, data-intensive
applications and services. In particular, the center aims to provide
scientists with information that will enable them to make informed
decisions about retrieved resources and to have confidence in using
resources derived through complex scientific processes.
I am a co-leader of the
Inference Web (IW) project, a collaborative research effort
between UTEP, Stanford
University, and Rensselaer
Polytechnic Institute. The IW project aims to provide
infrastructure for explaining answers from software
systems. Inference Web has been sponsored by a number of DARPA, NSF,
DHS and DTO (formerly known as ARDA) projects.
Prior to joining UTEP, I was a postdoctoral fellow in the Knowledge Systems, AI
Laboratory at Stanford University. I am a former member of the Information Management Group at
the School of Computer Science
of the University of
Manchester, United Kingdom, a leading research group on Semantic
Web, Grid and e-Science solutions in Europe. I am also a former member
of the Database Group at the Universidade Federal de Minas
Gerais (UFMG), Brazil, a leading research group on information
extraction and information retrieve in Latin America.
- Paulo Pinheiro da Silva, Leonardo Salayandia, Aida Gandara, Ann Q. Gates.
CI-Miner: Semantically Enhancing Scientific Processes.
Earth Science Informatics 2(4): 249-269, 2009.
Paulo Pinheiro da Silva, Deborah McGuinness, Li Ding, Nicholas Del Rio.
Inference Web in Action: Lightweight Use of Proof Markup Language.
In Proceedings of the 7th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2008),
October 26-30, 2008, Karlruhe, Germany.
Nicholas Del Rio, Paulo Pinheiro da Silva, Ann Q. Gates, Leonardo Salayandia.
Semantic Annotation of Maps Through Knowledge Provenance.
In Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Geospatial Semantics (GeoS 2007),
Mexico City, Mexico, November 29-30, 2007.
Paulo Pinheiro da Silva, Deborah L. McGuinness and Richard Fikes. A
Proof Markup Language for Semantic Web Services. Information Systems 31(4-5): 381-395, 2006.
Deborah L. McGuinness and Paulo Pinheiro da Silva. Explaining Answers
from the Semantic Web: The Inference Web Approach. Journal of Web
Semantics, Vol. 1 No. 4, October 2004, pages 397-413.
Paulo Pinheiro da Silva, Deborah L. McGuinness and Rob
McCool. Knowledge Provenance Infrastructure. IEEE Data Engineering
Bulletin. Vol. 26 No. 4, pages 26-32, December 2003.
Paulo Pinheiro da Silva and Norman W. Paton. User Interface Modeling
in UMLi. IEEE Software, Vol.20 No. 4, July/August 2003, pages
- Full list by year
- My entry in
DBLP. (Thanks to Michael Ley)
- CS2401 - Elementary Data Structures and Algorithms (Fall 2009, Spring 2010)
- CS3331 - Advance Object-Oriented Programming (Spring 2007)
- CS3360 - Design and Implementation of Programming Languages (Fall 2011)
- CS4342 - Database Management (Spring 2006, Spring 2007, Fall 2007, Fall 2008, Spring 2009, Fall 2009, Spring 2010, Fall 2010, Spring 2011, Fall 2011)
- CS5322 - Information Integration (Fall 2006, Fall 2008)
- CS5353 - Topics in Emerging Paradigm: Cyber-infrastructure Applications (Spring 2008, also offered as CS5390 in Spring 2011)
- A list of citations to my work as in Google Scholar.
- A list of some papers citing my work excluding self-cited papers, viz., when citing and cited papers share at least an author.
Postdoc training, Computer Science, Stanford University, USA,
Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Manchester, United Kingdom,
M.Sc., Computer Science, UFMG, Brazil, 1998.
Undergraduate, Mathematics, UFMG, Brazil, 1996.
- Patricia Reyes (M.Sc.,2011) - At UTEP
- Alejandro Castaneda (M.Sc.,2008) - At Microsoft
- Mayukh Bhaowal (M.Sc.,2007) - At Oracle
- Dhyanesh Narayanan (M.Sc.,2006) - At Microsoft
- Priyendra Deshwal (M.Sc.,2005) - At Google
- Active research:
- tools and infrastructure enabling explainable systems
- semantic web applications and tools
- cyber-infrastructure-based applications including scientific workflows
- provenance and trust management
- Less active but still very interesting research:
- model-based user interface development environments
- object-oriented design of systems including interactive system
- formal specification and verification of software systems
- legacy systems and reverse engineering
- database systems and web repositories
Trust Lab Tools - Explanations, provenance and trust for Cyber-Infrastructure
Inference Web -
Explanations for the Semantic Web (or understanding answers in the Web)
ARDA AQUAINT -
Question answering against large heterogeneous collections of
information such as the Web
ARDA NIMD -
Novel Intelligence from Massive Data
CALO - Cognitive Agent that Learns and Observes
DARPA DAML - A language and tools
for the Semantic Web
DARPA Explainable Knowledge Aggregation
- DARPA RKF
- Support for subject matter experts to perform Rapid
UMLi - User interface design in
EPSRC Teallach - Systematic and
generic support for the development of user interfaces to object-oriented database applications
COPASA CAPPLES - Risk
assessment of the migration of legacy systems using performance analysis
- Knowledge Management in Support of Data Intensive Scientific Computing (PPT), Invited talk at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory on May 11, 2010.
- Editorial Board member for the following journals:
- PC member for the following events:
- Reviewer for journal publications:
- Reviewer for conference/workshop:
Page originally created on April 19, 1997.